Your First Swim Meet
BEFORE THE MEET
Before you attend a meet, check with your coach to see what time you should arrive for warm up. Your club committee may also set a meeting time and place for swimmers and spectators.
Pack the following in your bag
- List of events you are entered in
- Cash for entry into the meet and to buy a program (not all venues accept card payment)
- Highlight pen and biro (for marking your events in the program)
- Healthy snacks, and meals if you will be at the meet for an extended period of time
- Swimming gear (training suit x 2, racing suit, goggles x 2, club cap x 2, club shirt)
- Towels x 2
- Dry clothes
- Dry bag or plastic bag to put your dry or wet clothes (keep them separate)
- Extra clothes to keep you warm (even in the summer!) – Ugg boots, socks, jumpers, club jacket, warm pants
If you haven’t done so already, label your gear with your name.
If the meet is outside then you may wish to pack:
- Sunscreen and sunglasses
- Warm clothes
- Blankets or sleeping bags (in cold weather)
- First Aid Kit
- Tent or beach umbrella
WHEN YOU ARRIVE
- Pay any applicable entry fees and ensure you get a program
- Look up the events you will be swimming in and highlight them
- Find your fellow club member area at the venue
- Find your coach – let him/her know you have arrived
- Find out where you need to go for marshalling and how far in advance you need to present yourself (usually two events before yours).
- Remind yourself when you need to be in marshalling. It is your responsibility to get there on time – do not be late
- Follow your coach’s instructions to warm up
- Keep warm when you get out of the pool
- Ask your coach what you need to do to warm down after you have swum in your event(s)
- Go to the marshalling area
- Make yourself known to the Check Starter and follow their instructions. The Check Starter will lead you out on to pool deck before you compete in your event.
- If you have won a medal at a Swimming NSW or Swimming Australia meet, you will be told so by the technical officials on pool deck. Find out when you need to be in the medal presentation area to receive your medal.
- Follow your coach’s instructions to swim down
- Get dressed – stay warm
- Eat, drink water
- Talk to your coach
- Report to medal area if required – do not be late
You are welcome to go home after you have competed in all of your events. Make sure you check in with your coach before leaving the pool.